Unicoi Energy Services, LLC
Renewable Energy Services
1165 Allgood Road, Suite 6
Marietta, GA 30062
Phone (678) 990-1051
Cell (404) 642-5848
Fax (770) 977-2832
Unicoi Energy Services (UES) provides consulting and project development services for biomass facilities and projects, including services relative to realization of production tax credits, grants, and loans for electricity and alternative fuels projects, and program development and consulting services for the sale of environmental attributes, renewable fuels and for the sale and/or acquisition of used biomass equipment. Unicoi markets used biomass and other generation equipment and locates used generation equipment for biomass projects.
UES purchases, markets, and sells Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) from biomass facilities and provides services in support of clients for this purpose, including technical, accounting, marketing, contracts, and reporting services, with emphasis on complex Combined Heat and Power (“CHP”) systems involving multiple power plants, fuels, and turbine generators.
Operational highlights and services include:
- Sale of Distributed Controls System (DCS) sized for 100MW CCG facility, and marketing of water, emissions, and fuel treatment systems and recovery boiler.
- Appraisal and valuation of biomass power plants – valuations of pulp & paper and sawmill power islands, including recovery boiler and materials handling systems as applicable.
- Location and pricing of used biomass power plant and generating equipment.
- Project management of RFP process for construction and operation of +20MW biomass facility in Louisiana.
- Preparation of pro forma financial documents and investors’ memos in support of greenfield biomass projects and various power plant upgrades and modifications.
- Equity interest in thermal gasification biomass facility in Alabama.
- Sale of over 2,000,000 Renewable Energy Certificates or “Green Tags” to variety of government and commercial customers, representing 2 million megawatt hours of renewable generation.
- EPA contract required annual third-party audit performed by Environmental Resources Trust and was announced by EPA as follows:
January 2005 - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has entered into a three-year agreement with Unicoi Energy Services to purchase 100 million kWh of renewable energy certificates (RECs) annually for its Research Triangle Park (RTP) complex in North Carolina. The RECs will be sourced from a pulp and paper plant using biomass resources in Georgia. The contract nearly triples the size of previous purchases for the RTP complex and represents the largest green power purchase yet by EPA, which now purchases 220 million kWh of green power annually for its facilities nationwide—enough to meet about 78% of the agency's total electricity needs.
- At request of Center for Resource Solutions,
provided technical and other supporting data relative to eligibility
of wood waste and other mill residues, including lignin and related
combustion technologies, in support of revised the Green-e National
and successfully administered REC sales programs at facilities subject
to Green-e annual audits.
- Provided consulting services regarding PPAs,
including clauses to reserve renewable attributes to generator and
address changes in laws regarding potential RPS and Cap and Trade
on regulations applicable to distributed generation and related sale
of electricity in regulated and unregulated markets.
- Worked with US and European certifying entities
to obtain agreement from all stakeholders that certain environmental
reporting in regard to export to European Union of manufactured
products from US facilities did not conflict with sale of RECs in US.
- Obtained Repowering approval under Green-e
Repowering criteria for pulp and paper facility based on boiler
replacements in order to qualify facility for sale of Green-e eligible
RECs in voluntary markets.
- Prepared O & M and fuel purchase agreements
for biomass projects.
- Negotiated and administered EPCM contract for
refurbishment of 20MW biomass plant including conversion to BFB and
updated air systems.
Unicoi is affiliated with International Applied
Engineering, Inc. (IAE), a consulting engineering firm with expertise in design,
construction, and development of industrial steam and power plants, with
particular emphasis in biomass boilers and gasification systems. IAE was
formed in 1992 to acquire the US assets and customer base of Fichtner
Engineering, a German engineering firm. IAE’s planning and engineering
disciplines include materials handling, environmental, mechanical, civil,
chemical, structural, electrical, power and process engineering.
Additionally, staff capabilities include environmental permitting, economic and
financial analysis, project development and procurement services, and management
consulting. IAE has specific expertise in the enhancement of existing
biomass boilers with modern airflow technologies to improve their operation as
gasifiers and increase capacity while reducing emissions.
For further information, please contact Matt Gedney at (678) 990-1051 or MGedney@UnicoiEnergy.com